Search This Blog

Pages:

Saturday 1 January 2011

my bucket list: the 30 before 30 challenge **UPDATED**

In case you aren't familiar with the concept of a 30 before 30 list, check out this awesome site for a rundown. Basically, it's like a bucket list. Except, you're only counting down until you reach the big 3-0.

Curious yet? Check out my list below:

**UPDATE** Since posting, I've updated the list. I'll continue to post updates on my blog every Monday (and add pictures when I can). Enjoy!

LAUREN'S 30 BEFORE 30 LIST



1. Take a candlelit bath.  Completed January 2011
Sounds uber-relaxing, which explains why I've seen this on several other "bucket" lists. BONUS POINTS if I’m drinking champagne.

2. Visit New England (Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island etc.)
I would love to stay at a bed & breakfast in New England. Just spending time strolling through town, enjoying local fare - including fresh Maine lobster - sounds like my dream vacation.

3. Ride on a train
This is BIG on my "things to do before I die" list. A lot of folks are crushing on hot air balloon rides. Not me. Riding in a train reminds me of old Hollywood glamor and life changing journeys.

4. Read 5 “classic” novels/plays, including one of Shakespeare’s histories: Henry, etc. This is in progress. 2/5

5. Ride my bike for more than a block (without fainting).
Don't judge me. Elliptical machines, aerobics and yoga don't prepare you for wind resistance, a hunched posture and rough terrain.

6. Get an iPhone.
I'm just waiting for Verizon to get one...and for my current contract to run out.

7. Get a professional bra fitting.
It's time.

8. Lose 5 pounds and/or get a six pack.
I'm proud to say I lost almost 20 pounds in 2010! My ultimate goal? To be fit. More accurately, I want to be ripped. Think Angela Bassett as Tina Turner in What's Love Got to Do With It? Just five more pounds to my ideal fitness level and I'll be ecstatic.

9. Cook something from scratch. **Completed February 2011*

10. Publish a short story.

I used to write a lot of these in college writing workshops. They're great exercises to learn and improve the craft of writing. I have a few ideas that are banging around in my head demanding attention.

11. Publish a book of poetry.
I haven't written a poem since college. Recently, I found some of my old ones (including one I'd had published) and it reminded me how much I enjoy reading and writing poetry.

12. Visit a Farmer's Market.
My city has a large local one every Saturday starting in spring through fall.

13. Attend my high school reunion.
This will be done under duress.

14. See the cherry blossoms in DC.
Time to see if reality lives up to the hype. (I hope it does!)

15. Grow a plant or flower/Keep a plant alive for a month. 
We'll see if this happens.

16. Finish knitting that scarf!
My last attempt ended in failure. This time, I will not fail. I will walk up to the purple scarf and say: "Hello. My name is Lauren. You killed my father. Prepare to die."


Bonus points if you get that reference.

17. Read the Bible cover-to-cover.
I've got a good head start on this.

18. Maintain an exercise routine for 3 weeks. 
I revised this. I actually completed this yesterday (sort-of). They were modified (girl's pose, I think it's called) push ups. Instead, I want to stick to an exercise routine for 3 weeks.



As I've said, I'm very into fitness and healthy living, so I exercise often but not on as set a schedule as I'd like.

19. Refinish a piece of furniture.

20. Finish reading The Enchanted Castle. 
I own a hardcover copy of this classic by Edith Nesbitt. This is a book I started in 5th grade…and never finished. Our teacher (shout out to Ms. Chinn!) started reading this book to us after the fantastic book The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews (a must-read) but never finished.

21. Change my oil & the wiper blades.
Why pay someone else when I can do these myself?

22. Learn how to jump start a car AND practice **UPDATE** (0.5/1)
An essential skill for every woman.

23. Start an IRA.
Now is the best time to start...

24. Donate to 3 new charities.
I'm earmarking some money to go to the library, since I use the heck out of my local branch and I don't like using resources without giving back. But I also want to give money to several other charities, especially local non-profits. Among them is a no-kill animal shelter in my area.

25. Go ice skating. 
The last time was in high school. I fell no less than a dozen times and froze my butt off. And it was awesome. I've wanted to go again since then but never got around to doing it.

26. Pick strawberries.
This is one of the things I love about living in the South. Where else can you do this? It's a perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon. Plus - fresh strawberries!


27. Paint a room without staining the ceiling or wood trim.
I actually enjoy painting. Trim and edge work? Not so much. But I'm always up for improving my skill set.

28. Learn to use an electric drill. 
I know my way around a hammer and I've used an electric drill before (with supervision). However, my fear lingers that I'll accidentally drill through my fingers. My goal? To change the drill bits; to make a pilot hole in something or drill a screw into place. BONUS POINTS if I can use the drill to complete a project.

29. Tour a local historic home or garden.
Local history + beautiful architecture + nature + exercise. What's not to love?

30. Go to the zoo!
This has been a long time coming.


31.Run a 5k – whether in an “official” marathon or just go the distance. 




I recently learned of a local marathon held New Year's Day that benefits the American Cancer society. I've never run a marathon before; heck, I barely survived walking/jogging the mile in high school. But my fitness level and confidence have increased a lot since then. Running a marathon would be a huge physical milestone for me. Guess that means I need to start training...


32. Create a will
Because stuff happens. Picking up the pieces is difficult enough for those left behind; ensuring your assets don't end up in probate hell is the least you can do for loved ones.

 
BONUS:
Ride a horse.
Almost did this but wimped out.

Learn to say "hello" and "goodbye" in 5 foreign languages.
Very useful since I live in a multicultural area AND I love to travel.

Learn all the words to a French song...and sing along.
This just seems cool. Plus, I have an album of the awesome Edith Piaf and I want to sing along (and understand the lyrics).

Buy a new bathing suit.
Usually I have to borrow one.

Like the list? Please share/tweet it up. Make sure to check out my updates too.

0 Sassy Comebacks:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...